Tuesday, February 05, 2008

And now for some meaningless coincidences

I grew up in a suburb outside of Washington, DC. During that time, the Redskins won 3 Super Bowls, making them the champions for 17% of the time I lived there. They hadn't won any before I was born, and they haven't won any since I moved away.

In the five years I lived in Boston, the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls, for a 60% success rate. They also hadn't won any before then, and they haven't won any since.

Now I live in New York, and the Giants have won one Super Bowl, giving them a score of 33%. Though to be fair, they did previously win two earlier ones when I was somewhere else. (It should also be mentioned that the New York Giants don't technically play in New York, but that's just a detail.)

Relatedly, there hasn't been a ticker-tape parade in Manhattan since 2000, because foreign dignitaries apparently don't like to ride slowly around in open cars anymore, and New York sports teams haven't been doing especially well recently. But there will be one tomorrow morning, and because Trinity is right on top of the parade route, we'll get to ring for an hour (with sound control completely opened!) as they all go past.

5 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, February 05, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I probably would have cared more about the super bowl if it meant we could ring for the parade...

 
At 8:09 AM, February 05, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had imagined a sports parade, I would have routed it through mid-town, I think. But I suddenly realized (after decades, since the first ticker-tape parade that I remember from the news was honoring the Mercury 7) that having it in a neighborhood where there actually were lots of stock tickers makes perfect sense, in terms of the name origins.

 
At 9:04 AM, February 05, 2008, Blogger mollishka said...

Do you know what's up with your RSS feed? Yours is the only blogspot blog I have trouble with; it cuts off after about the third sentence.

 
At 9:07 AM, February 05, 2008, Blogger John said...

Apparently there's a setting for that. Is it better now?

 
At 7:40 PM, April 30, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO messed up!!!!!!!!!!!Who would EVER document anentire T.V Show!
BYE...

P.S you might know me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home