Monday, November 07, 2005

Assembling an apartment

It's strange how much of a difference the little things make. I've been living here for four months now, but there were a couple small framed prints I'd never gotten around to hanging. When I bought another one on Saturday, I it as an excuse to hang all three up, two in the kitchen and one in the hallway. And suddenly the kitchen and hallway feel... mine. The table and chairs, microwave, and all the other stuff in the kitchen wasn't enough. I needed something at eye level, I guess.

It carries over to the living room a little bit, too, but that was already doing okay. I've had a couple pictures on the wall in here for a while, not to mention a bookshelf full of my books, and my random stuff on the mantlepiece, and my mexican blanket on the couch. What this room still needs is... a coffetable. Ever since I decided I was going to get one, there's been a coffeetable-shaped hole in the middle of the room where I keep wishing I had something to take up space and to put my things on. Ah well. It's supposed to get here next Monday.

I do like how open the whole place feels. The bedroom has wide open space. The living room has furniture, but most of it doesn't go all the way to the ground so it feels a little less... solid, I guess. Unmassive. And the completely unadorned windows (with an unobscured view) help too.

(Someday I'll be done putting this place together. Until then, I'm going to keep talking about it.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home