Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween

Brooklyn is a very civilized place, assuming that the ultimate measure of civilization is whether it knows how to celebrate halloween properly. (I think that's a fair assumption.) Not only is it possible to get a pumpkin without having to buy it two weeks in advance (Cambridge, I'm looking at you), but there's also some serious trick-or-treating.

Getting home at 6:15, I was worried that I might have already missed the peak of the ritual. Ha. My first batch of candy was gone in 20 minutes. I dutifully went over to 7th Ave and bought another three bags of candy. They were gone in 10 minutes--an average rate of about 6 kids a minute.

I wonder if there's anywhere where the trick-or-treating balance is really maintained. I know that when I was growing up, there was always a big bowl full of candy left over, usually more than I took in myself. There weren't enough trick-or-treaters to cover all of the houses there. Here, on the other hand, there's a lot of kids. (I had no idea how many until tonight.) But with nobody else on my block on handout duty, I felt like they couldn't possibly be earning as much candy as I used to.

Clearly someone should study the economics of halloween and figure out what's going wrong. On the other hand, the kids seem to be having a good time either way.

1 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, November 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not possibly use HTML tags, but I suppose it's nice of the site to offer.
My late next door neighbor kept a yearly log of how many kids came by. Her impression was that the overall trend was ever fewer going door to door. This year we got 20, which is more than often show up. Most people I know had extras this year, presumably because the weather was warm and clear. (instead of cold and wet. One sloppy year we only got 2 kids, all bundled up and under umbrellas).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home